Mission & History

Mission

The mission of the Chicago Engineers’ Foundation is to encourage and empower young people to become the next generation of engineers through scholarship opportunities, outreach to educational institutions, and promoting interest in engineering careers.

History

The Chicago Engineers’ Foundation of the Union League Club evolved from the Chicago Engineers’ Club, an organization established in 1903 as a professional, social and networking group for the Chicago engineering community.

In 1963 Robert Bacon, President of the Chicago Engineers’ Club, and Douglas Flood, an attorney, founded the Chicago Engineers’ Club Foundation. It operated independently of the Chicago Engineers’ Club, and presented its first Incentive Awards to students in 1969.   The Chicago Engineers’ Club Foundation merged with the Union League Club of Chicago in 1975 as an independent organization, and became the Chicago Engineers’ Foundation of the Union League Club later that year.  CEF remains one of three foundations that proudly have their home within the Union League Club of Chicago.

Over more than 100 years, engineers and leaders from the Engineers’ Club, and its later iterations, generously volunteered their time, talents, and enthusiasm to support others in the engineering community.  It is a true privilege to honor decades of networking and philanthropy all dedicated to Chicago’s engineers, from the organization’s beginnings as a Club to a proud member of the Union League Club of Chicago now dedicated to supporting Chicago’s next generation of engineers.